Are you passionate about data analysis, visualisation and management and want to use those skills in a unique, high impact, rapidly growing startup that is providing energy access to developing countries? Make your mark in the world and join the upper management of an award winning BCorp.
About African Clean Energy
We are African Clean Energy. We are a rapidly growing enterprise focused on enabling decentralised access to clean energy for households in Sub-Saharan Africa and Southeast Asia. We are currently operating in Lesotho, Cambodia and Uganda. Our mission is to eliminate the worst forms of poverty on a platform of clean energy and smartphone technology. We do this by making our clean energy system, the ACE One, accessible to households living on $2/ day on an affordable 9-12 month microloan. We have recently launched a PAYgo customer facing app, and have built an extensive integrated data collection system whereby we gather data directly from the customer through our sales teams in every market.
What’s the challenge?
ACE has a database that no one has. A huge set of variables that tell the story of the $2/day households, but the story is hidden in this vast and growing dataset and we are looking for an ambitious Data Scientist who will spearhead the analysis, visualisation, and further data collection. Think about being the first to mine rural household energy statistics, discovering unique impact metrics, modelling their ability (and willingness) to pay for the ACE products, increasing their standard of living, and keeping a close eye on our internal performance metrics. This is a unique opportunity to be the first Data Scientist at ACE and grow out a data universe that is one of a kind.
You will work with our Senior Developer and our IT Systems Manager, as well as reporting directly to senior management, and be responsible for organising, storing and analysing data as efficiently as possible, while always upholding the highest security and privacy standards.
Responsibilities will include:
- Creating innovative data models on rural households and more
- Design, develop, and modify data management infrastructure to expedite data analysis and reporting
- Continually develop and implement data management policies for sharing data securely and responsibly (incl. GDPR compliance in a emerging market context)
- Build out our MI Suite (Salesforce Einstein Analytics)
- Working with teams in each market to ensure data integrity
Required Skills and experience:
- Thorough and proven understanding of the principles of data management and administration
- Experience with Management Information and visualising data
- Experience analysing large data sets
- Excellent communication skills (in English)
- Able to explain Analytics in non-technical terms to business users (C-level, line managers, etc.)
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in a quantitative field (Econometrics, Computer Science, Business Analytics, Quantitative Marketing) with a specific emphasis on data
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in analysing data through statistical modelling and machine learning to tackle business questions
- You know your way around statistical software packages, relevant programming languages and visualisation. Salesforce experience is a big plus.
- Sharp analytical capabilities combined with the ability to develop and transform concepts into pragmatic and innovative solutions.
Role: Data Scientist – Business Intelligence
Reporting: Direct reporting to African Clean Energy’s CEO Ruben Walker
Managing: Local market Microfinance and Data leads
Compensation: Competitive pay for the industry
If this role is made for you, please email your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com to apply to this position. All applicants must be able to live and work in the Netherlands but working remotely will be considered.
The first round of applications are being accepted until 22nd October 2020, so please register your interest before then. Interviews will be held (digitally) in the first week of November 2020.